PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FTO styles - too militaristic and conformist?
Old 30th Jun 2006, 12:29
microfilter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boogey nicey is right in what he says- there is a definate militaristic strain running though half the lecturers there. It's unnecessary and childish.

I accept that for the military world then yes, you need to instill discipline through many other facets of the daily life- for that reason you live in barracks etc, but for a school which is 9-5 it is unnecessary. I could understand it more if you were a cadet chosen by an airline, but not if you are paying your own way.

The fact that you are wearing a uniform bears no reflection on your ability to fly an aeroplane, and the uniforms are so cheap and nasty- they look a state after just a few weeks- many of the integrated guys wear 'unofficial' clothing- does that imply they are not fit to work in an airline?

if we are going to wearing a uniform for the next thirty years then give us a break at this stage! I accept that even tube drivers (who spend a lot of time in the dark) have to wear a uniform, but there are plenty of schools out there in which you don't- these guys also get jobs flying planes. There is no correlation between wearing a uniform and ability to conform. If you don't wear a uniform to fly a plane it doesn't mean that you will suddenly ignore ATC and charge over the hold to take off quickly or something like that.

It's popular culture that degrades standards not consumerism and rights- I always thought rights were good things......Magna Carta...did she die in vain????