PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - thomsonfly queries
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2006, 11:12
yeoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are 757 courses running in August as well to the best of my knowledge. Quite how is another matter because as a Ground Trainer I'm up to my plums already. Not an expert on Sim bookings etc but I am led to believe that there is capacity. Seeing as chocs for HR works, should I end up running any part of your training I have 2 words for you: Bombay Saphire.

As for type / basing: What do you want really? If you go MAN, BHX or LGW 756 then the long haul will be a wait but it will happen. The senior Capts and FOs at these bases do Long Haul on a rotating bid, usually 3 rounds per season, 2 seasons a year. Each time you get a trip you bid for, you go to the bottom of the list. The score is essentially zeroed at the start of each season although there is a little bit of seniority bias at the start of the winter (the senior Capts and FOs from bases other than those above are added in the winter because the trip list is bigger). All this means that even if you are the most junior guy on the Long Haul list, the 5 day Denvers etc are within your grasp. It is about as fair as it can be made.

You will pay your dues however. You won't go on the Long Haul list for a while and probably won't even go on the 76 for a year or so, especially if you are an SO at a base that has no 76. One of the gripes at MAN for example is that as a 76 heavy base, the 76 rated guys spend all their time away because the 75 only rated lads are doing the 75 flying at base which limits the work available for the dual rated bods. Still with me? The "Big" aeroplane does a lot of long nights in summer but then it's more varied flying. Horses for Courses.

It is also harder to lose your phone eh Pete?!

There will be opportunities I guess on the 75 because a good few guys are looking at going for earlier Commands on the 73, freeing up RHS on the 75.

Whatever, it's a top company to work for, T&Cs are a good overall package, sure you want to weep on occasion watching management disappearing up their own hoop but show me a company any different. BALPA is strong and has a good working relationship with the company so we do pretty well generally.