PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Private Eye' returns to the 146
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2001, 02:49
Raw Data

fish

homer j -

No, for a variety of reasons. Low oil pressure doesn't initially cause vibration, and in any case the first thing you do with a genuine low oil pressure warning is shut down the engine. Vibration is caused by a blade failure or something similar, in most cases. The seal that is used in the compressor is a labyrinth seal I believe, apparently they don't tend to fail catastrophically.

PPRuNe Towers-

OK, but the point is that the equipment works fine. The audio quality isn't wonderful, but it is entirely adequate. it sounds (on the face of it, and without all the info) like a switching problem. Of course it is possible the mask mic failed, but the 146 cockpit is fairly quiet, I would have thought communication would be possible with a slightly raised voice (as we routinely do in normal flight). Perhaps you should wait until all the facts are in before jumping to conclusions?

It may be that practice doesn't necessarily pan out in reality, but you can only simulate so much... if the system works well in a simulated emergency, it is surely not unfair to expect it to work for real.

Maybe you can think of a better way to implement communications? Not being facetious at all, I'd be very interested to hear ANY ideas on how we could improve that aspect of the aircrafts systems.

It also occurs to me that the direct-vision system that consists of essentially a large inflatable plastic bag, for ensuring vision in a smoke-filled environment, should be mandatory in all flight decks. THAT could save a few lives...

[This message has been edited by Raw Data (edited 05 May 2001).]