PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - c-172 and p-28 difference in flying
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2006, 00:55
BeechNut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Human Factor
* The PA28 is not cleared for intentional spinning (can't remember about the C172) so if you decide you want to do the full spin training during your PPL course (not a requirement but something I would recommend you experience), you will need to do that in an approved type such as a Chipmunk or a C152.
Not so. This is true of the taper wing models (Warrior, Archer) and some of the hershey bar wing models, but not all. I was once the owner of a PA28-140 that was cleared for spinning. Models that had a ventilation blower in the tail, or that were equipped with air conditioning (must have been a negative climb rate at MGTOW with the air con on), were not. Many of those without these features were cleared to spin in the utility category (rear seats empty).

I now own a Beech C23 Sundowner that is also cleared for spinning; I own one of the very rare aerobatic models. Most are not cleared.

That said a PA28-140 is very reluctant to spin indeed and tends to go more into a spiral dive. The C23 is the same, you need both full rudder and full opposite aileron to get it to spin, otherwise it spirals and speed builds very quickly.

I've spun every aircraft I've owned. Most interesting was the Beech Skipper I briefly owned.

Beech