PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 29th Jun 2006, 23:38
Lucifer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The trouble with people who say that university is a waste of time and that you should get on with flying, is, that many of those same individuals have no idea what university is about.

Take advice from this graduate - it is well worth it, and do what you are good at, and not aeronautical engineering because you have a fixation on flying.

If university is above your ability, go and work you butt off for a while and become equally independent.

Whatever you do, don't pansy about and dither, and do not become so fixated on flying that you don't think about your decision logically...you need to work somehow while waiting for a flying job!

Hi, I've just left a Music Degree due to similar circumstances as Sicky and since I'm 22 I need to make some decisions fast!
Dan - reality check - stop wasting your time and make up your mind NOW. Your decision-making ability is crucial in the flight deck, and right now I would not dream of recruiting you.

I currently hold a BTEC and NVQ L3 in Aerospace engineering 'equivalent' to 4 A levels, i was wondering if anyone knew if these were accepted at the same standard as A levels? Any information much appreciated
You are going to have to state upfront to employers on the CV the number of UCAS points that is and how long it took you to be equally comparable to A-Levels. Everyone knows that an A-Level is a 2-year course (inc the AS level), and that most people take 3-4. I have no idea if you took (a) other courses or (b) if it took you 5 years or one. I would say "xxx UCAS points - BTEC xxxxx etc" then "(equivalent to 2 A-Levels)" or whatever.

having had a dream to fly since 5, and knowing that uni is a must - for experience and the qualification after, i tried to combine the two. check out BCUC (Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College - High Wycombe) providing i get the grade this summer - could be going onto Aviation Technology With Commercial Pilot Training - training for 3 years towards frozen ATPL along-side the degree.
Just go to Jerez instead and save your money, or do another degree first. Professional qualifications should not masquerade as a degree, and the chap who set this up stalled on the other thread when questioned as to whether BA asked him to set it up or just provided him with some helpful advice (while not committing at all to recruit from it).

At least Jerez, OATS or CTC are a known quantity.

I'm about ot start sixth form and i want to go to university. I was just wondering if there is a degree that will help my chances of becoming a commercial airline pilot.
Underwater basket weaving - whatever makes you happy so long as you can justify it. You won't pass an engineering course if you have no interest in it.