PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I become a FI?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2006, 20:47
Jimbo & the Jet Set

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The flying school at Sywell (Brooklands) operate two VLAs for training - feedback I've heard suggest they are not as tough or easy to fly (and taxy!) as the 'classic' C150/ PA28s etc"

The AT3 isn't that difficult to fly or taxy for that matter. It's all case of what your used to. Pilots who have had taildragger experience seem to have no difficulties, others with only Piper/Cessena experience take longer to convert.

It has plenty of shoulder room, is cooler in flight than a 152 on a hot summer day and is very, very fun to fly. The climb performance is good, but so is the cruise. It has a low speed cruise of 85kt (good for training) but will cruise at 110kts without gunning the engine and still gets 16lt/hr fuel econ. Not bad for a 2 seat trainer.

It isn't better than a C152, it has its problems. But on reflection at 6ft 2 I much prefer the AT3 to the C152 and its more fun.

And yes, your right about the sporting crosswind and turbulence performance. But then it only weighs 580Kg MTOW and aircraft engineering is about compromise.