PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FTO styles - too militaristic and conformist?
Old 29th Jun 2006, 19:25
40 yearflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed Airline Captain Speaking here

Apparently I last posted on 10th September 2005 ! Speaking as one of those failed Airline Captains who underpin the FTOs throughout the UK I can only say that I had the chance to jump straight into the left hand seat but circumstances intervened. ( I choose not to say what). I took up instructing but I suppose I was never cut out for those long boring legs in Airlines. To this day I have NO 1st Officer/co pilot time in my log book. So what does this all mean?. Be grateful somebody is manning the FTOs. In real terms I have taken a 25% cut in salary over the last 16 years. (Any airline pilot done the same?) I sometimes work 12 hour days - sometimes 6 days a week. Why do I do it? My wife thinks I am mad. I think she is right. Sometimes too tired to enjoy a night out - too tired to play golf. So when you choose your FTO -just think on the costs of training in UK - real estate costs greater than anywhere - fuel costs greater than anywhere - VAT on training cost (not so In the rest of Europe) - landing fees -not so in USA and a CAA talking in ever growing telephone numbers for test fees. So where has the cost of training gone? - not into my pocket.

I wish I was a Nigel flying through the skies,
Money in the bank never mind the bleeding piles,
Instead I am an Instructor bod,
With mortgage still to pay,
No BALPA to look after me,
I work 6 days a week............................................The rest is just as bad