PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAYDAY over the Bay of Biscay
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2006, 17:03
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6d

of course you are right, why bother with "hey bob" calls...but at least they should not be on the emergency frequency anyway.

as for practice df steers, some in the us are available on FSS 122.2, others do require 121.5.

in the US, in addition to the unofficial freqs I mentioned above, there is a plane to plane frequency 122.750, 122.850, 123.025, 123.3, 123.5, some used for planes, others gliders, copters and so forth.

also a number of UNICOM frequencies for use to call for fuel or rental car etc.

I do think 123.45 is also used on transatlantic trips to gab it up a bit.

certainly I bow to the knowledge you have of UK frequency allocation.

jon

I recall one incident where one flight crew (that was severely punished) found out the company frequency of a competitor called "WESTAIR". THE PILOTS were poorly treated at westair including poor pay ( back in 1985 or so) .

while flying over a westair airport which was known to have a loud radio so that ticket agents could hear while helping passengers, a devilish crew sang the following:

(to the tune of "I wish I were an oscar mayer weiner)

I wish I were a westair pilot

that is what I would truly like to bee ee ee

'cuz if I were a westair pilot

they would not have to pay meeee.

said crew was found out by the other company (after a phone call from the chief pilot of westair). the crew was told to remain grounded for 1 week ( with pay ;-) ) as punishment.

this crew was heroic in the eyes of their mates, and the chief pilot was even more beloved!

j