PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FTO styles - too militaristic and conformist?
Old 29th Jun 2006, 16:20
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts
Hmm, I still think its appropriate for there to be a Me Teacher - You Student relationship where respect is shown on both sides rather than a Me Customer - You Seller relationship. I'm all for a relaxed and friendly training atmosphere which is almost certainly what OATS achieves.

Sadly the 'call me Steve' culture where extendable deadlines, loose punctuality and a lack of hierarchy results in some (only a few) students on Integrated courses being a bit shocked intially and hostile later.

It's ususally a time of high stress and your world does tend to shrink to the boundary fence of the campus. Thus small failings by the school or its instructors are greatly magnified.

I'd love to see how some of the worst moaners would cope on say RAF Basic Flying Training - they wouldn't know what hit them. Spending £70k and being treated like children or in an off-hand manner is a deep cultural shock. But it does happen, often and everywhere. Its just one of the unique and character building features of an Integrated style course of training.

Play the big man, smile and be nice and you'll find it all goes a lot easier.

Cheers