PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Private Eye' returns to the 146
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2001, 15:42
Raw Data

Thumbs down

Yes, once again the obsessive effendi has seized upon any opportunity, real or imagined, to have a go at the 146. I can only imagine that a 146 once ran over his pet hamster or something, or maybe his favourite homing pigeon went down a 146 intake.

I haven't read the article (private Eye not being amongst my usual sources for factual, technically correct aviation reporting), but if it was a shutdown due to severe engine vibration, it is obvious that you could get smoke in the cabin (as you would with ANY turbine engine that uses bleed air), as the seals break down under the vibration.

Effendi will now try and tell us that only 146 engines fail with severe vibration- he will comprehensively ignore the number of CFM56 engines (for example) that have grenaded themselves (Kegworth springs to mind, for one). He will try and tell us that only ALF engines could allow fumes into the cabin in this situation (wrong again- Kegworth). He will then try and link this incident with the wider issue of fumes (when there is clearly no link).

In all this, he will pretend not to notice the serious defects in other types, which are far more serious and have killed many people.

Such twisted reasoning, flawed logic and foolish presumption lead me to the conclusion that effendi is actually just a plane spotter with a hangup over the 146. In other words, don't take him seriously- he certainly isn't interested in flight safety!