PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Sponsorship (ish) scheme OAT
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2006, 10:54
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My, this argument has become interesting!

There are a lot of factors at work here, and this scheme is designed to attract those who like 'ready-made' solutions, regardless of cost. Nothing wrong with that per se; that's why restaurants exist, and goodness-knows how many other services that present you with a turnkey product. That's certainly the appeal for TCX - and they get the additional guarantee that OAT's reputation relies on the product (the student) being acceptable.

As a way of getting into a jet airline, and bypassing all that tedious job-searching, air taxi and turboprop time, this is as good as they come. However, you do need to seriously think about how you will feel in a few years' time when the ex-modular guy beside you at check-in is earning considerably more money and has less debt. You may well say, "Who cares, I'm flying a jet now and that's all I wanted, whatever the cost." Well, it may seem worth it at this end of the process, but you'll have a long time to regret not maximising your earnings potential! Whatever you feel about it now, you will come to see flying as just a job, and the practical day-to-day considerations of how you pay the mortgage, keep the wife/kids/girlfriend happy, repair the car and put food on the table will assume far greater importance than whether you cruise at 200kts or Mach 0.855. Believe it.

Now, to the other aspect of the arguments above. The future of flying training is still being decided by the market, but the days of the unselected, self-sponsored pilot are surely limited. How limited I don't know, but if airlines see the standard of new hires dropping (or there becomes a perception that that is the case, whatever the reality), they will have to do something about it, and the likely course of action will be to progress to pre-selected students from courses such as this OAT one or the CTC Wings course.

If aviation continues to expand, as it seems highly likely to (fuel sources allowing), airlines will need to look to a more structured training industry with a more standardised, high-quality output. Courses like this one and CTC's are the first steps towards this, and I believe they will become the norm (though with a different structure) in the future.

That is not to say that they are necessarily the right way ahead for an individual while options exist. I suggest that for the majority of you, modular courses taken full-time and consecutively to completion would be a better value-for-money solution. and that is likely to remain the case for some time to come.

Scroggs