PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF JPA Rollout
Thread: RAF JPA Rollout
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2006, 07:11
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PompeySailor
they take six months to come back with a derisory offer, normally based around a nominal percentage rate.
The relevant bit here is the 'nominal percentage'.

Ok, this is big bucks and long time, but £1000 per year over 12 years eventually led to MOD paying out £35000. Part of the bill was for the plaintiffs' experts in challenging the ministry on the appropriate daily rate of interest over 12 years. Naturally the MOD offered interest at the lowest annual rate whereas the plaintiffs claimed, and won, a signifigantly larger sum.

For JPA claims I believe the MOD would be hard pressed to refuse to pay out at the Customs and Revenue Interest rate which is actually quite generous. In their case though you have to make an involuntary loan for 12 months .

So, in addition to any expenses, including fees for checking Experian etc, and bank charges, you should also be looking for loss of interest (you should pay tax on the interest of course).

Say you were planning to pay for a £1000 holiday and your pay is short over the period by £1000 then the interest you would claim would be that associated with paying for that holiday - say 1-2% per month.

Don't claim, don't want. Don't want, don't get.