PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2006, 23:26
pulse1

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Ginseng,

Bill Wratten said, in his Pilot article defending his decision, that the negligence occurred before waypoint change. I think I am right in saying that this article preceded the Lords Select Committee by some time.

We come again full circle to the crucial point. What was the picture from the cockpit at the point at which they were deemed to be negligent? John Purdey agreed, a long time ago, that if he had been present in the cockpit at waypoint change he would have told the crew they were being negligent. And yet, he continually fails to tell us, when asked, what he would have seen from the cockpit, which would have drawn him to that conclusion.
All we know with any certainty is that at least part of the Mull was obscured by cloud. From Mr Holbrook's account it is also probable that they could at least see the lower slopes of the Mull. Apart from that, we have no idea how much they could see at that time.

John Purdey, once again I ask, if they were going too fast in the conditions, what were the conditions as seen from the cockpit at that point? In other words, what could they see? What could they not see? Unless these questions can be answered with certainty, you cannot say they were negligent, at that point, with absolutely no doubt whatsoever.