PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tasmania helo crash, no one injured
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2006, 23:19
Texdoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The likely worst place for loss of tail rotor thrust to happen is in the hover, and the reaction is quite simple - get rid of the engine power and land the helicopter from a hovering engine failure condition. Easy to do on those machines that have throttle(s) on the collective10."

I guess you can not but agree with this comment HOWEVER as it says it happened in the worst possible place, as these things do, the "quite simple" and "easy" comments though seem quite out of place here in an objective (??) report. Should it not simply state what the corrective action is without the expanding on the ease and simplicity of it.

ERGO if you have the left pedal on the floor during the landing at hover and it starts to yaw right then the "simplist" and "easiest" thing to do is to chop the throttle (not massage it CUT IT).... I aint the expert but is there not a number of other maladies that could cause this effect with such corrective action not necessarily being what is required... which brings me to my point. Assesing why you are continuing to yaw right and deciding what the problem is before taking corrective action does not leave a lot of time to actually do it in this scenario.

I certainly hope something "quite simple" and "easy" like this never happens to me