PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prolapsed Discs and Flying
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2006, 15:49
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm a retired airline pilot, but have written quite a lot about backs on this forum. More recently I have mentioned the new (ish) traction machines which have a very high claimed success rate. (80%). But that is their figure. These are $100,000 machines that have computers calculating the muscle tension etc. See DRX9000 on web. Or my links. Search under my name if no luck elsewhere.

I almost always said that an MRI / CTS is the only way that you will know what is going on, and you are dealing with something that, if not treated / rested properly, just could be stacking up problems for the future.

Now is the time to get yourself right for the rest of your life! Thousands of hours with a tiny fault nibbling away while you move in your seat will be very counter productive.

Surgery is a last resort, but is some cases the problem is so clearly defined, that it gives instant and lasting results. You have to know the exact problem.

You should aim to be drug free while flying. No ifs or buts. Anything else is just a fix.