PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2006, 09:46
Lord Flashart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class 1 for CVD

Hi,

I am currently looking into a career as a pilot (want to do ATPL) but have CVD, although my colour problems are only slight (R/G) and I'm pretty sure I'll pass a lantern I have problems with ishihara plates, so have a couple of questions:

1. If I do ishihara at Gatwick, fail it then do the lantern and pass that will I get a full unrestricted class 1 medical?

2. Will I have to re-test my colour vision in future if I fail the ishihara then pass the lantern? And am I right in saying that people who pass the ishihara first time never have to re-test?

3. What advantage is there in taking my medical somewhere else in Europe, I see this mentioned a lot and am confused as to the differences.

4. If I try for class 1 at Gatwick, fail or get a restricted medical, then re-take it elsewhere and get an unrestricted C1 will the fact that I failed first time round be recorded and count against me in any way? ie. should I just go straight to some other European country to take my C1 bypassing CAA/GW entirely.

5. If I do determine that I'm better of getting my cert abroad, are airlines likely to prefer candidates with UK CAA C1s over me?

6. Does anyone know if the CAA use the 24 or 38 plate ishihara, and whether the plates are tested in order or randomly.

Sorry for so many questions, and sorry if some of them are already answered in the CVD threads, I have trawled through them at length but am utterly confused and am hoping some of you who have already navigated this minefield will be able to help.

Thanks.

Flashart