PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reality Check:
Thread: Reality Check:
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2006, 07:29
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More specific reality

pilots, on duty, reading non aviation required books or magazines?
Yes, during times of low workload such as cruise when one crewmember agrees to "mind the store". Similar to the accommodation for meals or completing paperwork. Not a problem in normal operations, though I personally prefer to converse. I do not personally prefer to read for entertainment during flight, though I don't object if the other guy does.

pilots sleeping on duty in the cockpit?
No, not for long anyway! If the other guy is that tired, then maybe I am too. He will stay awake to keep me awake.

pilots not doing checklists, or hurrying checklists, or answering checklists without really checking things?
Yes. If he doesn't do it, I will. If he doesn't do it properly, I will. Of course, I will request a better effort be made to "keep me honest". We will discuss it further at an appropriate time and place if it is necessary since the cockpit is not an appropriate venue for an a$$ chewin'.

someone pencil whip a write up?
Yes. Only at the lowest of lowball operators does this really happen. What pilot hasn't at least believed that this has been done to one of their writeups so the airplane could be dispatched? Some pilots might be qualified to actually make this judgement, but most aren't. I worked as an A&P mechanic for a long time and only knew one mechanic who knowingly did this. (we took care of him quietly, as he was also a thief) I have heard of a few other instances though. Exceptions to the rule. Most of the time, it is "could not duplicate on the ground", "Removed, cleaned, re-installed, op ck good", or some variation of did not find a problem. Maybe a deferral per the MEL. Because many pilots simply have no understanding of what goes into troubleshooting a writeup or how that widget really works, some think the worst when their writeup does not generate the results they desire. These are the usually the same fellows who make up a writeup just to extend their lunch break. Where the pilots and mechanics work together toward the goal of flying safely and in accordance with the rules, there is little reason to "pencil whip" a writeup. Even when economic or other pressures encourage a lower standard, I think mechanics who get up in the morning and say "I think I'd like to compromise my integrity and risk my career today by making fraudulent signoffs" is about as common as a pilot who gets up and says "I'd like to go out and compromise my integrity and risk my career by exceeding flight and duty time limitations today and then falsify the logs to cover it up". While there may well be such individuals in our business, they are the extreme exception. Not to say it NEVER happens. Just that this question appears to support the assertation that a squawk which has not been resolved has been "pencil whipped". Those who have worked around the mx side of the house know this is not commonly the case. It is indicative of the "us versus them" mentality at it's most ugly.

good pilots get blamed for something they didn't do?
Yes, unfortunately. Company politics are a distasteful blemish upon any job. It also depends on one's definition of a "good pilot"! Good from who's perspective?

bad pilots getting away with something they shouldn't have gotten away with?
Yes. See previous answer.

In flying, is it better to be good or lucky?
The good are in a far better position to benefit from good luck and more likely to survive without it. Synergy! Good luck is also sometime referred to as the "confluence of preparedness and opportunity".

Can't wait to see your conclusions, Jon. Don't wait for 100 responses! Do tell.

Best regards,

Westhawk