PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The TNT B737 EMA/Birmingham incident thread
Old 28th Jun 2006, 05:27
Dream Buster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot Pete

Calm down!

Keep to the facts.

If one presents a serious incident to the AAIB and they ignore it (as though it had never happened) - how would you feel? I must admit they are brilliant at analyzing accidents down to the last detail. Fact.

I suppose that those of us who know that all is not well in aviation these days look for examples of this and the only measure that people seem to have of whether it is OK or not is the incidents/accident data - true? Fact.

Believe it or not I am totally on the crews side. Fact.

So when one knows that an aircraft is 'probably' flying with near minimum fuel (hopefully you are aware of this latest craze) and diverts to an airfield on RVR's and doesn't land for whatever reason but then diverts again - it is quite likely that he will be cutting into his final reserve - that's what it's for.

One is entitled to point out that the craze (see above) has been tested and 'just' worked but I personally have a problem with the craze and have always been worried by folk putting minimum fuel on board. Fact.

Clearly we will have to wait a couple of years to find out what actually happened but in the mean time keep your eyes open for evidence that all might not be well as you think, encourage crews to carry sufficient fuel regardless of what the rules say and please don't fly over my house when you are struggling between airfields in a bent aeroplane. Fact.