PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wot's the latest with Gold Airways?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2006, 05:15
Jens_Buche

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chockchucker

Hello Chockchucker,

OK, our basic constraint is with Melbourne Airport which requires us to give 6 months notice of start up. At this stage they have already constructed the new check in areas which VirginBlue will use for a short time until the construction is completed to expand T3 - that's behind schedule. (These are opposite Obriens Pub in the terminal). So whatever we do it will be at least 6 months before we fly and unless we can pull a rabbit out of a hat with the airport I cannot see that changing. They will certainly want to know when we are funded. We are not interested in flying earlier unless we have had time to roll out our 2-3 month marketing campaign. With it being June 2006 already I am not optimistic about starting in 2006. The problem with rolling on like that is that your business plan has to be continually updated and your market watch intensified.

Timing is very important, planning is also very important. Unless you are actually doing this sort of work you don't appreciate why it takes so long.
An airline can typically take 3-4 years to get off the ground, and then only with money.

Intrepreneurial stewardship of the most recent airline failures in Australia leads me to believe that it is time to change the way we are doing things. That's the difference. If you are prepared to think along the lines you suggest, no amount of money will save an airline in Australia. It's proven by history that you have to get out of neo classical thinking to make it work.

Regards

Jens

Last edited by Jens_Buche; 28th Jun 2006 at 16:51.