PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Picket Pilot's
Thread: Picket Pilot's
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2006, 22:45
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cargo boy - My understanding of the big rise at Virgin is that it was actually last year's deal. From my conversations with a friend, who is a Virgin pilot, I understand the deal covering this coming year is actually only just above inflation. Nonetheless, the overall Virgin terms and conditions won by BALPA over the last few years are simply excellent and are testimony to the power of responsible union representation. Other airlines, including easyJet, can only look on in slight envy at the terms and conditions you enjoy.

I understand that Virgin has about 98% BALPA membership and I am told that easyJet has peaked at just under 80% - but I cannot verify that. When our troubles kicked off last year we were at nearer 50% and we got an offer less than RPI (2.5% and not 3.5% as was suggested earlier). Simply through the hard work of our CC and solid support from our pilots, a good deal was won. The 6% stated earlier is accurate in that it is your choice if you put it on the pension or not. There is a direct relationship between levels of union representation and the deals that arre finally won. I see the deal that we have won as only a starting point to a wholesale and comprehensive rethink of terms and conditions at the LCCs. We are competing in a completely different world to Virgin but it is nonetheless in everyone's interest that all BALPA-represented airlines fight a hard war.