PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 2
Thread: BRISTOL - 2
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2006, 21:50
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks as though Flybe is continuing its rundown of services out of BRS, as some of us anticipated earlier in the year.

The winter timetable shows no Belfast City, Bergerac or Bordeaux departures although, perhaps surprisingly, the Jersey is to run six times a week through the winter (no Sats) and, even more surprisingly, the Toulouse is also to run six times a week through the winter (again no Sats) against easyJet's daily Airbus.

I wonder if someone like Air Southwest will look at BHD or will they be scared off the route as Flybe apparently were (used to be three daily departures) by easyJet's three Boeing 737s a day from BFS?

Bordeaux is a pity because it is one of Bristol's twin cities. None of the other European twin cities have air links to Bristol either. One might think Hanover was a candidate but Tbilisi (some say Georgia is in Asia not Europe anyway) is probably a bit remote for an airport like BRS.

At the moment it looks as though BRS will have nine less scheduled routes this winter compared to the summer, viz Pisa, Budapest, Valencia, La Rochelle, Marseille and Rijeka with easyJet, plus the three Flybe routes mentioned above. I haven't counted Mahon because that is a high summer scheduled route and Hamburg (also apparently dropped by easyJet) will presumably continue to be operated by OLT, albeit with somewhat more expensive fares than the Orange machine.

It's a bit of a surprise following recent years when new routes seemed to be appearing at BRS like weeds in my garden. Continuing with the gardening theme, it's always a good thing to prune the dead wood to make way for new, stronger growth so perhaps that's what's happening with these routes, although doubtless some will return next summer.