PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2006, 19:34
HELOFAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Anton25.
Yeah it is sad & although the life comment is harsh its ends up being a matter of changing hobbies or timing.

I used to work a roster of 2 weeks on 1 week off.
Good roster but hard to maintain any time with friends when they are working through out the week & you have time during the day...gets a little ronry..so ronry LOL ..ehem anyway..yeah it sucks.

Most rosters in Oz used to be like 2 & 1 or 3-4 and 1 and guys/girls are prefering to stay in the city vs fly in/out jobs.
In the end the companies are changing the rosters I have heard that they are now doing 7 days on 5 off 7 days on 4 off ... or something like that ..need to check e-mail ... anyhoo, its the employees saying that they are not going to work that and the companies are having to change the rosters as no one wants that kind of wear and tear on their personal life.
Also the money is getting better/silly ( and it was good before ) I am almost tempted to go home ( dont tell my family ) cause its getting to the point that its better money at home vs going expat.

I dont know if aviation is ever going to take that stand to improve conditions / rosters / pay & I hope that by the time I get my foot in the door things are changing for the better for pilots all round.
Its not easy I know when that is your best option to stay where you are or cant make a move.
Thats the companies attitude , like it or lump it.... I like it when I see someone stand up and say Lump it. !!

I am choosing a helo pilot as a career for the job not the cash... I know I know cant live with out it & , when the solo me becomes me and the Missus.... kid etc I might change my view.
Hopefully by then ( its further away than I can imagine LOL ) I am doing ok, besides I can always go back to mining to restock the bank account.

What do the guys that do these rosters think?

I know a lot of the married folks in mining like the away part cause its a break/space that keeps the relationship cool.
Plus when they get home again the partner is usually at work during the day so that gives them the day to do what they want.... it has positive side to it too.

HF