PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Sponsorship (ish) scheme OAT
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2006, 12:06
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jetlagslag
merely you're paying to have OAT (with all their clever marketing to airlines) on your CV.
And if you knew anything about the aviation industry you would realize that having OAT on your CV is marketing hype. Remember, some of us don't work in finance, we work at the pointy end of big jets and 'earn very well' thankyou and like to pass on the benefit of our experience to new guys thinking of schemes such as this. It's nothing to do with bitterness towards OAT, just a 'reality check' about the perceived benefits of such a scheme compared to what else is available. I went to OAT for part of my training many years ago and with experience and hindsight I can categorically state that it was not the best training available, certainly not the best price available, but it served a purpose under different training regs to today and got me qualified sooner than another route would have. I left the place with my ticket and 'OAT' on my CV (which was worthless), so paying the amount that this scheme requires to have it on your CV is in my opinion a waste of money. Go modular and achieve good grades in a similar timescale (do it full time) and you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a job in the next few years with the projected requirements for new pilots in the UK airlines. If the job market holds up then you will be substancially better off. If it doesn't, then you will still be better off because you won't have so much debt around your neck and no flying job (remember that conditional job offer is worthless if the job market doesn't hold up). That's all the maths you really need to do.

As long as new guys go into these schemes with their eyes open then fine, enjoy, but make sure you enjoy for quite some time or can use it to get where you want to be on a decent salary.

PP