PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 27th Jun 2006, 11:48
lasernigel

OLD RED DAMASK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to cut and paste again but a relevant question to this thread was put up by James Gray yesterday and the answer from Des Browne.....

Mr. James Gray (North Wiltshire) (Con): I know that the Secretary of State will agree that central to a successful deployment in Afghanistan will be the heavy-lift capability provided by the Hercules aircraft from RAF Lyneham, which is in my constituency. In that context, he will know that one of the contributory factors to the tragic crash of a Hercules in Iraq last year might have been the absence of foam flame retardant in the wing tanks. Will he tell us how quickly the retardant will be fitted in the Hercules fleet and
26 Jun 2006 : Column 12
how many planes will be fitted with it? Will he confirm that all the planes that are deployed in Afghanistan will have that safeguard fitted to them?

Des Browne: I am happy to accept the hon. Gentleman’s invitation to pay tribute to the contribution that the Hercules—and, more importantly, those who fly the Hercules—have made to military operations in not only Afghanistan and Iraq at present, but elsewhere. He knows, as I am sure that the House does, that we intend to fit the flame-retardant foam into Hercules and to ensure that those that are deployed to the theatre are fitted with that. I have said in public, so I have no reason to say anything different from the Dispatch Box, that we hope to be able to do that by August for the first of them. We will ensure that sufficient numbers of Hercules are fitted with the appropriate retardant foam so that operations can be conducted.

So now it's August for the first one at the moment,how long to get the fleet done I wonder????