PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ground incident involving BA 747 @ FAJS
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2006, 17:44
Leezyjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Max Angle
Good point about the stop button, it never occured to me that it should be manned when you are taxing on to a stand but it makes sense. I have never seen anybody standing beside one in all the years I've been driving aircraft on to stands.
It's SOP in my airline to stand by the button, although we are practically the only one's who do at LHR. Mind you on the occasions I've activated it, it made no difference and the a/c carried onto stand anyway - One Skipper's excuse - well we saw the sign flashing but as nobody was waving their arms around we carried on

WhY do ground staff insist on thinking it's brave to approach the aircraft before it's parked and before the strobes are off?
Complacency I guess. We have a couple of engineers who walk up the centerline while the engines are still running and before the a/c is chocked to have a nosey around the main gear - just yesterday one of them was standing right infront of the 744 as it reaced the parking line, but didn't actually stop. Stupid had to jump out of the way.

It really irks me when I see it, but engineers, like pilots are untouchable and never get called in for a b****cking.

Hope the guy in JNB is ok.