PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAYDAY over the Bay of Biscay
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2006, 15:56
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must have been getting it wrong for the past forty-something years of my flying career. I can recall 2 engine failures between V1 and V2, one all-engines failure in cruise, 1 runaway stabiliser, 2 occasions of jammed controls, 1 in-flight fire, 1 incapacitated Captain when I was F/O, and 2 incapacitated F/Os when I was Captain. I always operated as though my first priority was to contain the situation, and get the aircraft under control. On not one of the occasions mentioned, did I mention the word “Mayday”. I didn’t need to, because after all of 10 seconds or so, the aircraft was under complete control. I would not have hesitated to call “Mayday” if the aircraft problems could not have been resolved expeditiously and a continuing perilous situation existed.

It always sufficed to tell ATC of the problem, and the required further course of action. Several ATCOs asked the question “Are you declaring an emergency?” In each case, because I placed communication as the last of the big three (Aviate / Navigate / Communicate), my reply was “Not any more, the situation is under control”. Again, I say, I would use every means available to call “Mayday” if control and safety could not be assured after the seconds spent Aviating and Navigating, there might be someone “out there” who had a real emergency. If, in a "poor English speaking" environment, relating the problem in concise, plain language does not elicit any response, then a "Mayday" call is warranted to get their attention.

My favourite line from a great movie comes from Tom Hanks in “Apollo 13” –

Houston, we have a problem”. (Obviously the NASA guys would never make airline pilots).

411A, it sounds like your F/O in your last post did some pretty good “pilot stuff”, must have been one of the old school before news-casting became a part of the job description.

Yep, I must have been getting it all wrong, I readily admit to many many faults, over-reaction is not one of them.

I hope that the pilot/s and occupants of the aircraft event that started this thread have their feet safely on dry land.

Regards,

Old Smokey

Last edited by Old Smokey; 26th Jun 2006 at 16:54.