PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yobs throw rocks at air ambulance
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2006, 13:34
Whirlygig

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
society fractured by inequality and inequity
Eh? Which society and which country are you talking about here? In the UK, there is a pretty good state education system for all, we have a National Health Service (not without its current faults I admit) which is the envy of the world, we have a State Welfare system which attempts to support the citizen (sorry Subject) "from cradle to grave" and "to each according to their need from each according to their ability". And you have the cheek to say that this is an iniquitous society?

Perhaps it might just that because this section of society has had everything handed to them on a plate that they do not understand that things have to be worked for and they assume the world owes them a living.

Crab said it best

As regards punishment? There is one form of punishment that has not been tried in this country for years, many years and that is the punishment of humiliation. Village stocks, their peers pelting them with rotten fruit, a community telling a miscreant that what they have done is wrong. I dare say this would be against their "rights" for a dignified punishment but, it's not been tried for a while and, as I am anti-capital punishment and prison/borstal doesn't seem to have much effect, might be worth a try.

Cheers

Whirls

PS - I do not read any newspaper and I would say my politics are left of centre if that's any help to anyone!