PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military influence on civilian aviation - a Good Thing?
Old 26th Jun 2006, 10:50
boogie-nicey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Scroggs is quite correct in his responses (here) BUT I feel that Soviet Bloc just chose his words fleetingly and without too much thought even though the point being made was understandable. A case of wires getting short circuited here I think..... Both opnions are correct but derived from differing aspects of the same issue.

The RAF is an EXCELLENT organisation and whether in war or peace seem to be able to undertake any and all duties after all can you last recall when the RAF said "Oh dear I think that might be a bit too much for us", no I don't neither. (In fact the politicians are constantlt trying it on knowing that the ever adaptive RAF will just get on with it without moaning, but I digress). I admire such devotion to standards, morality and honourable conduct especially in this day and age of the 'pop idiol' generation. Nevertheless what Soviet Bloc and others refer to is the unwaranted expansion of the military into the civil side and the eventual consequences it has as described in the OAT posting above. Civil attitudes don't bode well for the military so why are RAF menatalities excerised on us civies? The CAA and OAT are examples of this and thus have a dedicated following of people who despair at their exclusive actions and overtures.

In the US the FAA is more inclined as a 'people's system' and therefore has a more integrated and better handle on it's responsibilities and future aspirations (though no where near perfect). But it appears that on our side of the pond us fellow aviators need to be reminded (like school kids) that the system is here to do us a big favour rather than supporting and guiding us through training. I would love to have an RAF approach on many aspects of aviation training but then I would also like to have heavily discounted training so I can concentrate on getting it right and being the best pilot I can be. I would also like near limitless time off work to conduct such training too but again the realities of the situation wouldn't permit this and I need to be practical in my approach. Therefore I don't need these excessive unmeasured constraints on my training.

I think SCROGGS is the coolest of the lot and having experienced instruction by a retired RAF chap on the Provost and Gnat, I can confirm the instructional level of the RAF is breath taking, I don't really know how they do it. But never forget the realistic template across which such 'Services mentality' is overlayed across the civilian landscape.

Last edited by boogie-nicey; 26th Jun 2006 at 11:00.