PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2006, 07:33
jimtall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fourteen years ago I had a dream. That dream was to make a career out of flying. I had never flown an aircraft before and yet I wanted to be a pilot more than anything else in this world. Then I was living in the Seychelles islands, my country of birth.

My dream soon came crashing down when I failed the Ishihara test. I did not know what to do. Back then I was told "you will never become a pilot" I gave up the dream and took a career in Television production which I eventually learnt to enjoy but it was not exactly what I wanted. Back then I was not told that I could get a license with daytime restrictions. The main reason being that the only body running aircraft operations were Air Seychelles and as an airline they would never accept anyone with CVD. Even if I did get a license with restrictions there would be no planes to fly because out there there is no planes to rent.

I am now living in the UK and have done and failed the Lantern test in Gatwick and the desire to become a pilot keeps getting stronger and stronger.

I was under the impression that if one did fail the lantern test in Gatwick then one would be dark adapted and the test would be carried out in the dark. This was not the case. I failed in normal conditions and no test was done in the dark at all. I must specify that the conditions in that room was not proper especially with that Stupid "tube light" straingt in one's field of vision.

My advise to anyone with the same condition is to do the lantern test elswhere. Gatwick now wants me to quote a reference number if I want to try again. I have now become a number whereby I can be identified as another CVD candidate.

I have read that in the Netherlands is a good place to do the lantern test.
If anyone knows of the address in the Netherland please post it here. I would love to take the test again. After all you only have to pass it once!!

Keep the dream alive and keep fighting for one day CVD will be history. It will die a horrible death by the upcoming technological developments.!!

Regards

Jim