PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian aviation workers afraid to speak out about serious safety problems
Old 25th Jun 2006, 17:21
nnc0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really ticked at hearing management being blamed for all of the problems. For the record I very infrequently run into situation where a line manager signed off an airplane or permitted a flight where safety was a factor. I have seen them grimace and suffer over the decision but in the end always choose safety over money. On the other hand I repeatedly, frequently, often, many times a month, have to step in because some pilot tries to dispatch without having fully prepared for the flight, or some mechanic signs of a temporary repair with some half baked ridiculous explanation. To my mind, I'd have those guys suspended for some retraining.

I'll admit managers do make mistakes but to blame them for all them is ridiculous. Due diligence and committment to safety is everybody's concern and I'd wager that the managers are more committed to it than many of the loudest complainers who conveniently only seem to risk making it an issue when wage negotiations are pending or failed. The hypocrisy of their actions is part of the problem and only serves to diminish their credibility in the eyes of those who must rely on their unbiased professionalism.

Heaven help us all if in the end operations come down to "Is this plane unairworthy because of this damage or is it unairworthy because the wage talks have stalled?"