PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Traffic Controllers - a loss of skills?
Old 25th Jun 2006, 14:01
Lon More

More than just an ATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not a new thing. Probably started the day Min. against Av. employed me.
I can remember that there were a couple of new ATCAs on my course who couldn't tell the difference between an HS06 and a CV99.
Things haven't improved, I think it's for economic reasons. Even at Eurocontrol, where there is 0% chance of working TWR/APP we did sim training for that. Dropped now, to get people through quicker and cheaper. Same with the Fam Flight programme, if management and airlines were really interested it would still be possible.
Also the selection process itself. See some of the links here, people not really asking for details of the job, only, "How do I pass the tests?" As a training officer I complained long and loud about the fact that, in order to keep the numbers up, people often made it through the initial phase, only to fall directly when OTJ training commenced.
Management is also distancing itself from the workers; extra layers inserted - often those who were not suited/suitable/interested in working in the Ops. Room (before someone posts it, I know being a good controller is not a guarantee of being a good manager; however an ATC manager should have a good knowledge of what's involved an, more importantly, be interested in it, not just in furthering his/her own career).
Rant over, and no further suggestions for rectifying the problem as I'm too busy enjoying retirement