PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Queens Building
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2006, 11:01
Amos Keeto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like several of you, I also spent many hours on the roof gardens at Heathrow in the 1960s underlining my copies of Ian Allan's Civil Aircraft Markings. My Dad used to take me there about twice a year and we always met the same spotter who must have spent every breathing moment of his life there, as his book was full with just about everything underlined! You didn't need a telephoto lens to take good photos as everything was so close. Ah the variety of sounds - pistons, turboprops and jets - not a patch of the endless stream of boring and uncharacteristic jets of today. I have published many photos from this era in my book "Vintage Glory", but it may be hard to find now! Sadly, those days will never return. Some time ago, I wrote to the Heathrow Public Relations about the poor viewing facilities and reasons for the roof gardens being closed, as there was no logic in it. After all, if anyone was doing anything suspicious, all the spotters and photographers would immediately report it! The only answer I received was 'because the government's report advised it's closure on security grounds'. I'm afraid, in my opinion, 'H&S', 'Human Rights', 'discrimination' and 'immigration' are all taking their toll on ruining this country!