PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GF does it again... DECs!!!
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2006, 10:09
Trader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ironbutt57, the only problem with saying that the senior guys should get better blocks is that they had the benefit of good blocks when they were junior as well!!!! They never worked under strict seniority and so had the benefits of a 'fair' system throughout their career here.

For a senior pilot to say that he now DSERVES a good block due to his seniority is, in my opinion, quite hypocritical.

Personally, I like Emirates system with rotating blocks that ensures everyone has some good months.

AT GF, I also see no reason why each pilot should not be able to list THREE preferences on their monthly bid to be given in order of seniority (instead of the current one choice). This is effecient for BOTH the company and the pilot since it distributes flying to pilots who have particular wants.

For example, a friend on the 320 does not want 4 or 5 day blocks, His friend loves those blocks (due to high TAFB). But he uses his one choice to bid a specific day or set of days off so he and his wife can plan activities. If he was given 3 choices he could bid his days off as well as a bid saying no 4 day blocks while his friend could bid the opposite. In the end each pilot gets some of his choice and the flying gets distributed nicely. This reduces the need for trading and, in my opinion, would reduce sick days.

The fact is we all have lives and with only 8 days off per month it is difficult to have a family life or private life. I would guess that HALF of all pilot sick days have to do with their need to be at their childs school play, activities wuth visiting relatives and then seeing the what happens in the example above - 2 pilots getting the opposite of what they would like when they could each get what the like.