PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Caribbean/Latinamerican Flightschools
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2006, 04:57
Panama Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are a number of good schools in the US, Canada and Europe that are probably more organized towards pushing you though the licences and ratings, simply because the experience of sheer volume. These are pilot factories.

Have a good friend who did his PPL with a small school in Managua, Nicaragua. He was the first guy to get a PPL in Nicaragua since the 1980's! The school was a small, one guy, one plane outfit, and of course the bureaucracy and road map from going from 0 time to PPL was a little unclear at the time (for example, they had to check out the Examiner on Cessna 152 before my friend was able to get checked out by him).

However, he is pretty pleased with what he got. Unlike many instructors at the pilot factories, his instructor was highly experienced-- former jet transport pilot, former Director of DGAC, instructor and charter pilot. From what my friend told me, he really learned to fly and loved the experience.

However, flight training in Latin America is by no means "cheap." Renting a C-152 in Nicaragua costs about $130 USD, thanks to the high cost of fuel, insurance, and the fact that the airplane isn't flying as much as in other training schools.

I would say if you are looking for a one-stop shopping for all your licences and ratings with an eye to airline flying, go to a very reputable pilot factory.