PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch Airlines
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2006, 18:26
Crew Use Only

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I'm ex charter and things do happen with any airline.

In about 1994 (!!) when I first started I was fortunate to be initially offered 4 positions with charter carriers but Monarch rejected me 3 times, but I kept trying again as I was so determined to work for them. The interview was HORRIFIC - I'm afraid I was made to feel quite inferior and underserving of being considered for employment. You do indeed stay the full day even if you know you have 'blown' the morning session...It's not nice at all.

ALL the ex MON crew I work with now (quite a few) say I got away lucky 3 times as it was such a bitchy carrier. 'witches' as pursers and yes I am afraid I have heard the same negative remarks as in the above posts!

I was recently a passenger with MON on the dreaded 'flying cinema' of an A300 once and the purser took great delight in ripping strips off a poor (obviously new entrant ) steward in front of the entire cabin. It was so unjustified I did something I would NEVER normally do and asked to speak to her privately, and asked her why she found that necessary. It was good to watch her blush and squirm when I asked for her name and details of the head of customer service.

I worked for a very large charter company (since amalgamated and changed names, etc) with a good reputation and fantastic allowances on the 7 - 10 day trips - a real treat and massive bonus to a new flyer still caught up the the 'glamour' of it all!!

Although I loved it there I can agree with a lot of the negative comments above. It wasn't really an adult working environment as I was often belittled in front of crew and passengers. I soon developed a thick skin and just did everything by the book.

Yes, you had to show your wallet and declare cash carried.

As a 'temporary junior' you are often alienated from the rest of the crew, but once again you will deal with this. The would boast and brag about their leave (juniors didn't get any!) fantastic trips, and ask sarcastically what I was planning to do that winter when (not if!) I was laid off.

I once had a 10 day trip in which no one spoke to me the entire time as I was the only temp junior - but they went off for meals/shopping/sightseeing together and quite deliberately left me on my own. I am sure that would not be acceptable these days.

The main thing is I was always afraid to even respectfully speak my mind as it would have been deeply damaging to my chances of a perm contract and being "kept on" that winter. (I just bit my tongue and waited patiently until I COULD speak my mind - when I worked my last roster before leaving to a scheduled carrier!!)

I always dragged myself into work even if I was dying, as again any sickness would prejudice my chances that winter.

I still loved charter and miss it now still - although I'm sure it's changed a LOT now.

In common with a lot of other crew I left for a permenant contract as I wanted a mortgage!

One thing I am very grateful of is the UNBELIEVABLE strict Safety Training which has stood me in very good stead for the rest of my flying career.

I just got used to it being so regimented and disciplined and I am sure you will do the same.