PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bulldog
Thread: Bulldog
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2006, 15:53
hugh flung_dung

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ZZ: I'd reinforce what others have said about the handling, the Bulldog is a lovely aeroplane. We've operated them successfully at Old Sarum Flying Club for nearly 10 years - mainly for aerobatic training. Superb in roll, a little heavy in pitch, not terribly fast for the power. They have a "proper" spin when induced but are unlikely to spin from manouevre unless seriously provoked, spin recovery is standard.

The engine is standard Lycoming IO-360 (same as Arrow, Seneca and many more) so spares are very easy. The propeller is Hartzell. Fuel flow is roughly the same as an Arrow (10-14 gph leaned for best power, 8-10 when leaned for best economy). Engine is lifed at 1800/2000 hours.

Airframe spares haven't been too much of a problem. Batteries are expensive.
The stub spar needs a major mod around 5000 hours which extends the airframe life to 9760 hours (based on memory!); the estimate for the spar mod was £20k but I don't think anyone has done it yet.
Some aircraft have fatigue meters fitted and I believe the spar mod is required at F.I.114, but none of ours have had fatigue meters so someone else can confirm this. Most of the ex-RAF Bulldogs were sold with high FIs.

It would make an excellent group aircraft; easy to fly and with no vices. Some of the 'dogs on the market have basic panels and very high FIs and engine hours, others have an "airways" fit or dual panel and relatively low hours - prices vary accordingly.

Pop down the M3/A303 to Salisbury if you want to fly one.

Edited: oops, forgot to add:
DeHavilland support Ltd are the font of all technical knowledge http://www.dhsupport.com/beagle/index.html
Old Sarum are at 01722-322525, PM me if you want more details

HFD

Last edited by hugh flung_dung; 24th Jun 2006 at 08:39.