PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cruise Turbulence - Pilot and Aircraft Capabilities?
Old 23rd Jun 2006, 15:35
EI-MPE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to all for their replies and suggestions - I found Chesty's reply most helpful and next time, at the first lurch, I will remember your words.

I know that sedatives and/or alcohol suppress the sympthoms but, attractive as the proposition sounds, I need my wits about me when I reach my destination (for work) and when I return (to drive home from the airport). Besides one risks dependancy if they pursue that route.

chanuck 67 posted:

"It isn't turbulence that causes the problem but panic attacks."

I wouldn't classify what I experience as a panic attack i.e. hyper ventilating, increased heart rate, sweats and generally freaking out. I'd classify my feelings as heightened apprehension brought on by a poor understanding of what's happening and being powerless over the situation. I simply don't like not knowing what is happening, when it's going to stop, how much worse it's going to get......the unknown I suppose.

In response also to chanuck 67, I have consulted the Doctor and I have had the Xanax, but, in my case, I have found these routes of little use. I am confident that the issue is under control except for the problem as associated with cruise flight turbulence. Take offs and landings don't concern me generally (the exception being approach and landing at Bilbao in bad winds....quiet the experience that is!).

I'd like to occupy the (lofy!) position of norihaga and travel mostly when I am on the flight deck but, as a lowly PPL student, I am afraid that is not an option.

I am convinced that the experiences and assurances, imparted by the pilots, will assist greatly in addressing my concerns.