PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways
Thread: British Airways
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2006, 11:13
bealine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like you, my Fast Porcine, I used to carry slates and hods of bricks or cement up ladders from the age of 14 - don't suppose I could do it now, though!

You also have to bear in mind that in the days we'm talking about, heavy lifting was "man's work", in this day and age we have equal opportunities so if the maids wants to hump baggage (or their handlers!) they are more than welcome! Now, the odd 32kg bag would cause much of a problem to the hairy-ar5ed community below the Terminal, "Black Pudding Bertha", "Sweaty Betty" and their chums would face a considerable challenge!

There is also a considerable difference between lifting the odd heavy bag (into and out of the car for your twice a year holiday) and lifting, raising, twisting and stacking bags for the whole duration of a shift - and as Speedpig knows, many of our loaders do 16 hour "double shifts" regularly to earn sufficient cash to keep up their mortgages, CSA payments etc. (Please also remember that when talking about 737's, Barbie Jets etc, these bags are stacked in the hold by some poor sap on his knees in the aluminium under-belly. I suggest that manoevering 32kg bags whilst in a stooping, crouching or kneeling position can cause loads of things in your body to "pop" or "twang" besides just the back or knees!)

Going back on-topic, please don't make our two senior managers (the ones on special "holiday" during the investigations) be tried, sentenced and condemned before the OFT has concluded its investigations. Much as I am not a "toadie" of our managers, I consider Martin George and our Communications Director to be men of integrity and, whatever else they may be, I am certain they are not dishonest!