PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is a Bluntie?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2006, 10:53
US Herk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Tsk, tsk. Be careful which road you go down or you will find yourselves in a politically correct, corporate mentality where we strive to ensure everyone's self-importance is realised. Want an example, look to the USAF.

It started simply enough - someone thought the corporate concept of quality should apply to the Air Force. Sounds good in theory, but then you get those silly "mission statements" & "vision statements" - even our mission - 'Fly, Fight, & Win' - has devolved into a page & a half of rambling non-sense about 'dominating the air & space regime through leverage of technology...blah, blah, blah' The problem with most of these "mission statements" is they end at the office door ('We want to be the best finance office'). They need to keep working through the mission sets until they get to 'Fly, Fight, & Win' to see where they fit in the grand scheme of things.

The result of all this is blunties who no longer understand why they exist. The fact is, yes, everyone is important & we're all just cogs in the wheel, but there must be a priority of effort. If I see one more customer service-oriented agency who has altered their hours to 0930-1530 w/2hr lunch & closed on Wed for internal training to "better serve the customer" I'm going to go postal.

The simple reality is that there are only two types of military relationships between any individual/organization/unit/agency - supporting & supported. Sometimes you're one, other times you're the other. The trick is to know which you are when & do your J-O-B. It's not rocket science...

As an operator, I don't fly airplanes so engineering will have something to work on, controllers have something to control, or accounting will have someone to screw over. It is quite the opposite. This, in no way, diminshes their importance, but should put it into the perspective of priority.

Unfortunately, in today's USAF, we worry too much about people's feelings, their familiy lives, & self-esteem & we end up with customer-support agencies that don't.