PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cruise Turbulence - Pilot and Aircraft Capabilities?
Old 23rd Jun 2006, 08:53
canuck76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi EI-MPE, I'm going to move straight on from the discussion on turbulence to my presumptious assessment of the core of the matter. Easy for me to do that because I think I've been in the same place as you, with much the same background, except that I have 72 hours PPL.

And on this forum no-one knows who I am so I will speak freely.

It isn't turbulence that causes the problem but panic attacks. Good news is they can be solved. I've just racked up 38 hours in the air in the last couple of weeks without any more than slight anxiety. That's a long way from my starting place.

First and only place for you to start is your doctor. Read the words in the first sentence of the previous paragraph because they're the ones you'll eventually have to give him. Panic attacks. They can be treated in several ways. You'll possibly get referred by your doctor to a psychologist, for whom these things are their boring daily bread and butter and they are well used to dealing with them. I did aversion therapy (moved me from the almost screaming heebie jeebies to just being nervous). I did hypnosis (worked for a few years). I did chemical treatment for a couple of years (very low dose tranquillisers), which also helped. It's pretty well under control now, but I always fly with a bottle of Xanax pills handy in case I need it (very rare now).

Main thing is that it can come to anyone - pilot, non-pilot, thousands of hours person, SLF, ATPL, lumberjack, stuntman, wimp, director, chairman, or anyone. It can be fixed. Fixing needs professional help. Stress is a big multiplying factor. You're not the first person in the world to have the problem. Good luck in sorting it out.