PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch Airlines
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2006, 21:50
Virgin Boi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard some horrendous stories from someone very close to me who is Monarch crew, regarding the archaic attitude of Monarch airlines.

For example being told by an old dragon of a number 1 in a raised voice and threatening manner to "stand there by the wall" for a severe dressing down after a genuine mistake which had no impact on anything safety related.

Being scared to phone in sick because of the interrogation received from so called managers (trainers) - who have no legal right to ask some of the demanding questions they ask in the 1st place!

Having to show the contents of your wallet to a senior crew member before boarding an aircraft.

Having to ask the in charge crew member if you are allowed to eat or drink anything when you are at work.

Operating 4 + hour sectors there and back without a single break once (11 + hour duty day!)

Being shouted at and spoke to in a disgusting manner by off hand pursers who regard junior crew members as 'boy' and 'girl'.

Not being allowed to leave the hotel down route without gaining 'permission' from the Captain.

Not being allowed to swap any of your roster for anyone else’s, under any circumstances ever. (Unless you know someone in the office of course!) The person I know was told 'its not a holiday camp, if you don’t like it leave'.

Having to wait up to 7 years for your 1st promotion, and even then to just the rank of 'number two' - where you get to be in charge of the back galley of a 757.

There are many more examples, but as I said, these are just stories that I have heard, however, they are all from one very reliable source.

The only thing I would say in Monarchs favour is, their juniors earn a LOT of money. Its the only thing that keeps most of them there!