PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cruise Turbulence - Pilot and Aircraft Capabilities?
Old 22nd Jun 2006, 20:24
EI-MPE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Turbulence - Pilot and Aircraft Capabilities?

This is a difficult topic for me to post.

For the past 6 years my profession has necessitated extensive international travel. Typically I board a jet between 65 and 70 times a year for work related travel. This is broken down into 3 long haul (Asia / USA) trips and the rest is around Europe. I have a fear of flying; but this has been addressed mainly as a result of the volume of travel I have to do (the early days were hell) and the acceptance that comes with familiarity. As part of my self help I started a PPL course last year – to date I have clocked up 42 hours (solo at 15 hours – solo x-country at 36 hours), I have completed the ground school and I have passed the ground exams, I enjoy the general aviation experience. Despite all this self help I have yet to master turbulence in the cruise phase of flight – the turbulence associated with jet stream horrifies me – I find myself clutching the arm rest and praying. I am now at a dead end in self help as my Cessna 150 will never breach 100 knots or 4000 ft (that is with me at the controls). Jet streams and high altitude turbulence knowledge and experience, in my case, will be confined to the passenger cabin with that awful sinking feeling the first lurch brings.

I am a customer of you guys – please explain what the procedures are for flight through turbulence.

How do you grade it?
How do you anticipate the magnitude?
What do you do when things get really bad?
Is it possible for you to loose control of the aircraft – could it become inverted?
Does it ever cause you anxiety?
What are the aircrafts capabilities?
What was your worst experience?

I am hopeful that some insight from the cockpit will improve my understanding and perhaps ease the anxiety.