PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Sponsorship (ish) scheme OAT
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2006, 14:45
EK4457

Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easyflyer,
Does this not means it's a little unfair to describe these TC cadets as amongst the poorly paid jet drivers on the planet....?
These self sponsored airline schemes are the worst way to fund training. I got to the last 15 of the last Thomsonfly scheme for FTE. When I learnt the financial details (you pay for training AND get reduced salary) I decided not to take it even if I was offered a place (which I wasn't). Luckily I didn't have to pay for the selection process!
This TCX scheme is the worst of a bad bunch. OAT is the most expensive school. You don't get accomodation included. The salary paid is far less than FO salary (even with your £1000 added). So, yes. I think the comment is fair.
Are the tables now turning in favour of the entirely self "sponsored" as the market is more buoyant?
CBE - a very good question. I think that as far as comparing it to modalar goes, it is a no brainer.
I still have my job on fairly good money, now own a house (which has already gone up in value quite a bit and will be in the region of 10k when I finish my training) and doing my flying / exams at the same time. I should be in about 25k of debt when I finish. You could even subtract money made on the house from that too as none of the above are possible on Integrated (for me, anyway!).
However, if you compare this scheme to self sponsored Integrated, it is more open to interpretation.
I think the deciding factor is that they incourage (usually young) wannabees to opt for a route that they may not be able to afford.
For example, to get onto OAT APP, you only get 50k loan. Therefore you need another 14k for the rest of the training plus food/accom. In other words, you need around 30k in addition to your loan. People on the APP know this and are prepared to pay it.
However, the scheme hides this by offering you a bigger loan (as if it's a good thing!?) and some number fudging with your salary. The fact is that you still pay this 30k back after you have finished, plus the interest. They are praying on those who don't look forward to the next 7 years (in a financial sense). These people are usually young and want that jet job. I don't mean to be offensive to people who are young, but I've been there myself.
If you have 30k knocking around and don't mind peanuts for 7 years, then it may be for you. But then you could pay for the whole training modualr with the 30k and have no debt. Even if it took you 2 years to get a job (unlikely if you are good enough to pass the selection criteria in this climate) you are literelly tens of thousands of pounds better off.
Even if you think I'm talking a load of tripe, then think about this:
I don't know Scroggs personally, but from his posts I know he is a very experienced pilot with Virgin Atl. and knows his onions when it comes to this sort of thing. If he says something, listen very carefully.
EK