PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BLACKPOOL
Thread: BLACKPOOL
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2006, 13:56
cumbrianboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The big problem any new regional airport has with charter is that charter is a shrinking market. I would class BLK as a new charter airport as historically it has never really had any serious charter capacity, other than a 26 week season with TUI and the odd newmarket here and there.

Charter is a notoriously difficult market for new entrants for a number of reasons:

1. The market is shrinking and in a total state of flux and not quite yet adapted to the low cost carriers who have stolen much of the bread and butter charter market

2. Distribution still relies heavily on the travel trade, and the travel trade are stuck in their ways. New services into BLK need such an enormous amount of 'push' to get them off the ground the cost of sale per seat makes BLK so anticompetitive against other established and much larger bases (such as MAN), that convincing atour operator to take the risk is tough

That said however, I do believe there is a substantial enough market at BLK for a charter operation, however I think the airport still needs to be more established than it is, as it relies on a large geographic catchment area, much of which is still unaware of the benefits the airport has to offer. For charter to truly work the public need to 'think blackpool' and ask for the flight, at the moment it relies on the trade offering the flight - and currently it is far easier to simply offer MAN as you have for the last 30 years.

Charter in my view (and I am happy to be proved wrong anytime soon) will develop but over time.