PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's your view on VHHH tower ATC service
Old 22nd Jun 2006, 01:39
Mr. Bloggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cathay Pilots are trained to anticipate the push back. If only one door is open (baggage or passenger), the trainers gets on you if you don’t anticipate (lack of awareness they say). I say, when the doors are closed, ask for push back.

So a push back is asked with a door open and is given. Behold a door does not shut and you ask why. Cabin attendants found a problem with seating or Ground handlers found another bag to be loaded. So now it will take a minute or so.

Now since all the Aircraft have been moved to suit you, you do not push back straight away.

My advise is don’t ask for push back until all the doors are closed (there are others using the same field). For the controllers, if you see someone asking for push back and the doors have not been closed (maybe hard to see the pax/cargo door) Ask if he is allowed to push back with a door open and if not wait until it is closed. Ask just to confirm all doors are closed. If not, yell at him. If they do not push back within 30 sec, stop the push until ATC can accommodate other aircraft and you move to the back of the line (penalty box thing in the States).

What is the difference between being “Ready” and “Fully Ready”? You are ready or you are not.

My personal opinion, I would rather get vectored. Don’t like being in a hold with 1000’ clearance with someone who could make a mistake on their altitude clearance. too many aeroplanes too close together. Rather do S turns, it keeps me awake. Seems it was said before, holds don’t optimize arrivals. I know it is very difficult to reach up the turn the heading button every 30 sec or so, but use your beer drinking arm, it is much stronger.

Been to LHR and they use the snake system after leaving Lambourne for Runway 27 and been to the States where they use the same “S” snake system. All at the same speed following each other in. One big happy snake. If you don't do what your are told, you get yelled at.

If you hear “Turn heading 265 and descend to 4100’, then 3000’ and 1500’ (Runway 07), you know you will be dropped in early. Seems the controllers will give you a 9-10 mile final, so prepare for it. Saves time from going to “Sokoe” and Limes”. You don’t have to dive to 1500’ when cleared, just intercept the the glide slope at 2600-3000’. Make life easier, have the gear down and a reasonable speed to intercept. Takes more mental work, but hell, you are Cathay Pilots, you invented flying. Seems some may have invented ATC also.

In the end, ATC are in a box, a small one to boot, so unless you are going to have a mid-air, let them do there job.

For ATC, what are some of the things you see pilots do, that we can do better (whining not included, we have that mastered)?