PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skirts or Trousers?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2006, 01:32
TightSlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods aren't supposed to get too involved in opinions on threads, but I'm exhausted after a long block of flights, and a gin & tonic the worse for wear, so please excuse my breaking the rules and making a personal contribution.

There's something infinitely depressing about this thread - made worse by the fact that it seems to have been resurrected when I thought it had finally sunk beneath the surface of our collective consciousness some time ago.

I don't know what to be more irritated by - the fact that some people seem to have strongly felt opinions on this subject, or the fact that opinions exist at all. How can it be that in the modern world, in the industry that we all (more or less) love, the subject of whether female crew should wear trousers or not can generate more than a millisecond of thought?

There are many things that we, as crew, could talk about on PPRuNe - FTL's, customers, safety, service - the list is endless. Instead, a totally subjective argument about the aesthetic value of trousers versus skirts is proposed. Here are (in my view) some facts,
  • A pretty girl will remain a pretty girl, regardless of whether she wears trousers or a skirt
  • A good flight attendant will remain a good flight attendant, regardless of her dress choice
  • A good flight attendant will perform a successful evacuation of an aircraft or assist with in-flight medical care, regardless of clothing
Is there actually anything else to be said? How can any other opinion possibly be held? It clearly is, so I must be wrong in my assessment, but I just don't see it.

PPRuNe is a fabulous resource that enables us to discuss subject of weight from around the world, but within our industry. It depresses me to see that we should choose to discuss something as trite, pointless, puerile and trivial as whether or not women should be issued with trousers. If we wish to be taken seriously as a profession, then shouldn't we lead by example?

Rant over, I'm going to bed now, and probably should have before i typed all this. In 6 hours I shall wake up and do the school run, and then flyblue will tell me off for posting when emotional.

I just feel strongly that we need to raise our game a little beyond this kind of trivia.

Goodnight

Discuss...