PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who has the coolest PRUNE name
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2006, 22:07
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
Whats in a name?

Grenade,

In response to your question.....either or both would be correct according to whom you ask.

The long story...Aramco ordered some very nice Bell 412's complete with Sperry Kit and Air Conditioning. They were very nice aircraft as evidenced by the two they actually bought.

Some very enlightened decision making by some in management at that time (and apparantly old time PHI survivors from Arabian Helicopters) resulted in the order for the 412's being cancelled and 212's being ordered. They paid extra to make the change and decided in a real bit of genius to do away with the Sperry Kit and elected to have unstabilized aircraft vice fully kitted out IFR machines. (without Air Conditioning either).

When line pilots suggested flying an unstabilized 212 sixty five miles offshore at night in hazy weather was not a cool thing to do....the then Chief Pilot stated clearly that it was not a problem because it was VFR flying and thus an IFR machine was not required.

As any idiot knows....offshore at night without surface light reference....is not visual flying no matter what the law says or the Boss thinks.

I was so impressed by that kind of management thinking that I chose "Sasless" for a room name.

My inability to calmly deal with people of that lack of commonsense probably allowed me to use a similar rationale for the same name thus it fit the bill on multiple levels.