PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety, incidents, etc
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2006, 21:41
ZBMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flybywire
CRM is now mandatory in all UK airlines' training courses. However it seems that there are still several CRM incidents happening.

I think that what NC said makes a lot of sense. If when you try that you feel that you're talking "to a wall" then I suggest you write a CHIRP which will be considered by the CAA and investigated on (Of course if you're in the UK, but many other countries have something similar).

Recently my other half flew with a brand new F/O who stated to him: "I hate cabin crew"! You can imagine what kind of atmosphere there was during the flight in general and especially in the flight deck after this statement was made! My boyfriend was really not happy as this guy was also poor in communicating with him during normal operations.

Well, this shows how CRM can be ineffective on some people and I believe that these individuals should be retrained till they can comply with the regulations while they are at work. Then, if on a nightstop they want to be miserable and hide in their room it's up to them, but such behaviour whilst on-duty should not be tolerated, as something said just because they didn't know what to do with their toungue at that time could create a big barrier when/if an emergency occurred at any time during the flight.

I really cannot wait to fly with this new guy!!!!!!!

I believe that we all have a role in preventing communication barriers from developing and in destroying them before they become a real issue. Accidents that happened in the past have tought us so much and we should all learn the lesson, whether we sit in the LH seat or near the APU!

FBW

(gosh I feel better now )
FBW,

Interesting post. However, it clearly illustrates a misconception that many people, pilots and CC alike, have about what CRM really is. CRM is not about being friendly, it is not about being chatty on the flight deck, or sociable down route. CRM is the art of removing the "human factor", ie about finding ways to fly safely and efficiently should the guy next to you be a tw*t!
In the example you describe, although the FO shouldn't have said what he said, and although the F/D must have been pretty quiet for the rest of the flight, I am sure both of them operated the flight in a professional and safe manner. I am also sure they would have coped well in the unfortunate event of an emergency. If your partner feels this was not the case, then it is as much his fault as the FO's to have let the situation deteriorate to that extent.
This guy was just probably nervous and trying rather clumsily to make conversation (I was in that position not too long ago ), but I guess he should've known better!