PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why dont LCC's operate long haul?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2006, 18:15
ece3446

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is intl. different?

I should've been clearer orginally, what I meant was long haul international flights. For example there seems to be no low cost carrier on the EWR - LHR route. Not sure if MAXJet counts.

I've heard arguments before stating that intl flights will not go this route because a certain level kind of service is expected. Why not charge your captive market for all services provided (including drink and food multiple times, headsets, check in baggage)? Wouldnt you be more receptive to these services if you are in the plane for 6 or more hours? Atleast to me as a consumer at this point the ONLY thing that matters is the upfront cost of the ticket when I run my search through mobissimo. Hell , I'd go standing if I could get a cheaper ticket. j/k

By emulating the same reasons they have been a success in teh domestic market (one type of aricraft, working flight crew to death , charge for everything) I am still not sure why this business model is not applicable to the intl long haul arena.

In terms of time Jet blue already flies trancon (6 hrs. +) so I am not quite sure if i buy the fuel argument? Is EWR-LHR such a stretch?
Thank you all for your replies.