PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scilly Isles
Thread: Scilly Isles
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2006, 11:14
xz0npz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel Scilly Isles

Flew to St Mary's on Thursday 8 June from Blackpool (via Perranporth). No need for a flight plan any more (unless you want to) and just phoned for PPR on the day. I can see that they may want more PPR notice at times as there is a relatively small amount of parking available.
The airfield is "interesting". We landed on 09, 250m grass then 273m tarmac with each end sloping up/down at about 1 in 13. I found that 20degree flap (C172) and some power was a good approach allowing for a go-around if needed. Not as difficult as you may think as long as you think out the approach and landing beforehand.
The airfield is great with outside seating to watch the Twotters and Islanders (and Helis) coming in and out. Superb views of the island too.
The walk into Hugh Town was great and if you get a chance, do the island tour on the open-top London bus!
Acommodation - we couldn't get any for less than £100/night per person B&B, so we stayed at the Seiners Arms in Perranporth and commuted.... (Supply and demand?)
Well worth a visit and possibly vying with Oban and Sandown as my favourite UK Airfield of all time - every pilot should go at least once!